The village of Langwathby, which lies on the east bank of the River Eden, is situated on the A686 road, and stands around five miles north-east of the historic town of Penrith. The village, formerly known as Langwaldeofby, is of great antiquity and has its origins in a Viking settlement.
Langwathby nestles around its large central village green around which stand its post office, village hall, cottages and the village pub, the Shepherd's Inn, which serves meals. The red sandstone village church, St. Peter's dates to 1718 although parts of it are much older. The Methodist Chapel in the village was built in 1860.
The Settle-Carlisle Railway, also passes through the village. Langwathby Station was opened by the Midland Railway on 1st May, 1876, and was designed by John Holloway Sanders. The station became an unmanned halt in January 1967 and finally closed to passengers on 4 May 1970, The line occasionally hosts steam specials.
Langwathby hosts a traditional May Day event each year, which is over over a hundred years old, and includes may-pole dancing, fancy dress, brass band, ring entertainment, village teas, stall rides, side shows and sports and football.
The metal Bailey Bridge which spans the River Eden at Langwathby was constructed in 1968, it replaced a three hundred year old stone bridge that was swept away during severe flooding in the early morning of 25th March, 1968.
Nearby places of interest include Little Salkeld Watermill a small eighteenth century corn mill, which has been restored to full working order, regular tours of the mill are available. The nearby Bronze Age stone circle known as Long Meg and her Daughters is the the third largest stone circle in England and measures around 360 feet (115 metres) in diameter.